SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#181344 - 05/20/06 05:58 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
My thoughts.
The guitar on the Tyros was better. The timbre of the drums was better on the Tyros, but they weren't mixed up loud enough. Sax: G1000 had a slight edge because it was a growl sax. The Tyros sax sounded better in the lower registers because there were more samples down there, but the overall sax was just a little too smooth for this growly type blues.
So, overall, I think the G1000 had a little bit better blusey sound due to the growl in the sax and the louder mix of the drums. Tyros 2 would have won to me if the drum levels were louder, and the sax had a growl.

#181345 - 05/20/06 06:21 PM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
But we are talking about un-tweaked SMFs here apparently.......... plenty of you feel that re-working the header is too much work.

Just ONE SMF is hardly a fair comparison - the sax that sounds good in one song may not work well in another, and presumable, we are talking about GM playback, not GS or XG, so, although you may have a dozen different saxes in your keyboard, if the SMF calls up a tenor, that's it......... no choice of 'breathy' tenor, or 'growl' tenor or whatever. One tenor, one alto, one bari........ that's all GM allows for. The tenor may work in a R&R piece and suck in a jazz setting.

THIS is why the ability to QUICKLY change the header information is essential, or you might as well use an old SC-55 (which is probably what 80% of the SMFs out there were written for).

All this running around in circles, trying to find something that does as good a job as a cheap Roland module....... LOL

#181346 - 05/21/06 03:18 AM Re: SMF "Honky Tonk": Played back on Tyros2
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The same type of discussion was on the Technics forum a while back.

The KN 2000 verses the newer KNs. The Kn 2000 had great instrument separation, straight ahead drums right up front, and some great separation of instrument sounds.
One thing I had to keep in mind, the music was SIMPLE AND BASIC then and so was THEIR INSTRUMENTS. ---And --- so is the KN 2000. They are a fantastic match for that kind of music.
The KN 7000 did not play that type of song as well. To much happening and the instruments were not the same. ----
So, the KN2000 still lives on –BUT NOT IN ALL AREAS, it’s LIMITED.

In My Humble Opinion, John C.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online